I hope everyone had a nice weekend. As I mentioned on Friday, I am starting a little makeover of my Mom's main bathroom. I thought I'd share where I'm starting from and what my plans are.

As you can see above, the bathroom is not very big and is pretty bland and outdated. The vinyl floor was actually covered with a rug until I finally pulled it up recently. Kind of gross to have a rug in the bathroom, but my Mom has a big fear of cold feet. The rug was blue, the walls and trim white, and the window treatment and shower curtain a blue and white shell pattern. Luckily, the trim is all in good condition, my Dad painted it years ago and it's still perfect. I need to touch up the baseboard moldings since his cane, then walker and on occasion wheelchair left their marks.

I'd love to be able to really do up the bathroom for my Mom like these above. So fresh and pretty. But it's not in the cards right now, so a cosmetic makeover it is.

 

This is primarily a one-story house and the dining room, which Michael Lee shot for my 2011 Holiday issue of ::Surroundings:: magazine, shares a hall with the bedrooms and bathroom. The gorgeous wallpaper, which we believe is an old Schumacher paper designed by William Haines, is the featured element. I never really understood why the bathroom wasn't better coordinated with the hall, especially since the color palette is so pretty. Oh well, the time and come!

And so, I'll be using the striped fabric above for the window treatment, as well as banding around the solid fabric shower curtain. The walls will be painted Benjamin Moore's Palladian Blue. There is already a new toilet and Toto is proving the Wyeth faucet. I'll be painting the natural wood cabinet front and mirror frame white (gone will be the knotty pine!!) and doing something with the light fixture. I'll be painting the vinyl floor gloss white or beige, and will be adding a custom cut seagrass rug. I wish I could swing a new tile or wood floor, but this is a cheap and cheerful project!

So, that's what I'll be up to the next few weekends. Stay tuned for the after pics!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top