A few weeks ago, I was watching a re-run of an old Antiques Roadshow (British version) and in the background of one of the estates they were filming in I caught a glimpse of what looked like a Wedgwood Blue Jasperware ceiling. Gorgeous. Of course, it got me to wondering how many of these types of ceilings exist. Developed in the late 17th century by Josiah Wedgwood, Jasperware came in many colors although the blue is certainly the most famous. Named for the mineral jasper, this pottery mostly depicted scenes of ancient Greeks, mythology and other classic motifs.  What I didn't know was that Josiah, a prominent abolitionist, was the grandfather of Charles Darwin. Charles Darwin married Emma Wedgwood, his first cousin, and they had ten children.

Anyway, I've been gathering images of Wedgwood Blue ceilings and my wanderings through the internet have been fascinating indeed. 

Wedgwood Suite - St. Georges Hotel - Wales, UK

Location unknown, via Flickr


Glasgow City Chambers - via Flickr


Glasgow City Chambers - via


Unknown

One of only four known existing fireplace surrounds made by Wedgwood. 3 are in the Lady Lever Gallery in Merseyside, England, and the fourth at the Biltmore Estate in Ashville, NC.  via Flickr

source

My wanderings also brought me to a whole host of gorgeous Jasperware inspired confections:

I lost this link. Will add when I find it.






If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks!
 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top