If you're on Pinterest frequently, you undoubtedly have noticed that certain images just hit the zeitgeist and show up over and over again on your wall through re-pinning by those you follow. (don't get me started on the yummy desserts that are always there!) Anyway, one of my true bug-a-boos is the posting and pinning of photos out of context with no attribution to the designer, architect, homeowner, location or anything. I'm probably guilty myself - it's so easy to just hit repin.

This week, this amazing striped bathroom kept hitting my wall - it's so amazingly eye catching and not at all in my own design wheel house. But it's visually striking for all the right reasons and not overpowering or campy - though it could easily go that way. We always say that a small bathroom is a great place to go bold - but I've seen bathrooms that end up looking like cheap carnival fun houses because the striping went wrong. I think what works here is the clean lines of everything else and the subtle color palette. While it's stripes, there isn't an enormous contrast between the colors. I also love the antique sconces paired with the muted but modern brass chandelier reflected in the mirror. I kind of wish the faucet fixtures were also a muted brass a well, but hey, who am I to contradict... wait - who designed this???

For all the pins and repins that I saw this week, there is no attribution for the image. Doesn't anyone care?? Shouldn't we? The original pin seems to have come from a blog which had a post on stripes in interiors. But the blogger did no due diligence - no attributions, nothing. So annoying. And some very big and popular blogs are guilty of doing this all the time.

Anyway, the blog where the pins I saw link to was a dead end. So I did a Google Image search by dragging the photo into the search and voila - instant answers. (really people, it takes a second!).  All of this gorgeousness is the work of French architect and interior designer Jean Louis Deniot.

Le sigh, as they say.

(all Elle Decor watermarked photos by Simon Upton)

The reflected wall was featured in Elle Decor in 2012. The whole apartment - which is Msr. Deniot's own Paris flat - has been blogged and written about a lot. Very easy to find and drool over.









And the dishy designer himself, near his home in the 7th arrondissement.

So, back to the original image which was not part of the Elle Decor spread...


Deniot shows many photos of his apartment on his website under the Paris - Lille project under Achievements/Interior Architecture. The website Afflante seems to have been the source that disseminated individual images from Deniot's portfolio to many blogs world wide. Deniot's website doesn't allow "copying" of images unless they are gotten by screen grab. The Afflante images are beautiful quality - so to me they don't look like screen grabs. But I haven't been able to find an original source (another magazine for instance) for these. Dead end, as it seems. I'd like to give the photographer credit, but Deniot doesn't credit one either. Oh well.

Anyway, back to the work - just exquisite - you don't see anything like this work - this perfect combination of modern and antique, the glorious combinations of materials and muted colors - from any American designer that I'm aware of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top