A couple of weeks ago, I received a Google alert ("Boston Interior Design") that had a link to the following post on Yelp:

I am seeking an interior designer, but have not had much success googling or searching yelp.  I am seeking a designer willing to take on a 700 s.f. space with a modest budget. My taste is relentlessly Modern (aesthetically, not chronologically, of course).  Lots of clean straight lines, few embellishments, minimalist.  West Elm comes close, but I think they are overpriced for the quality they offer. So I need someone who has expertise and can truly execute this style.  Any recommendations or ideas as to where to start my search? Thanks.

My initial thought was, hmm, potential client? Then I focused in on the words "modest budget" and how the writer deemed West Elm overpriced for the quality. As anyone in the Boston area knows, finding modern furniture is not easy, particularly on a tight budget. At the retail level, we have Ikea, West Elm, Crate and Barrel, Design Within Reach and Montage, each successively more pricey (or as RO might put it "less reasonable") than the last. Webster & Co. at the design center carries Dakota Jackson, which is certainly not in the "modest" category.


But, I was intrigued, dismayed and a bit shocked by the succession of followup comments and the writer's responses. Several people commented, rightly, that the writer needed to do it themselves and others suggested he (a little sleuthing through his reviews indicates that the writer is a he, let's call him RO) was looking for free services and might try to find a design student looking for portfolio work. Their response:

No, modest budget means I do not plan to spend $20,000 or $30,000 to furnish and decorate a 700 s.f. apartment that I lease, although one could easily do so.  I'll pay a designer a reasonable and fair market rate for services. 

 So again, what does he mean by "reasonable and fair market"?  Again, some pushback:

Just look on Apartment Therapy and do it yourself. Sounds like you can't afford what you want if you're going to have it done professionally and you're not ready to admit that so you think there's some freelance designer out there charging 60% of what the others are asking.

RO's response:
There seems to be a bit of confusion. "Modest budget" means we're not talking about a 5000 s.f. McMansion with a $500,000 furniture budget and a $100,000 fee to the designer.  I'm not seeking cheap or nearly free services.  I don't work for free, so why would expect someone to work for me for free?  I am aware that some businesses, including my own, choose not to serve clients below a certain threshold, because it's not profitable. Thus I am seeking a professional decorator (there's not much design as the space is fixed and cannot be altered (no tearing down walls, remodeling kitchen, etc.) who can execute the project on a turnkey basis. I'm not a DYI type, so I'm will to pay a reasonable fee for the service. The other thing that's really important is that I need a modern/minimalist/zen decor, no clutter, totally soothing. The project is pretty simple, just need someone to execute it.
Oh. I see. Seeking Professional Decorator (not designer, decorator) to do a "simple project" on a "turnkey basis".  My ears pricked up at the term "turnkey" - which means he wants to sit back and do nothing while he pays someone a modest fee to do everything for him. And "simple" is merely code for - it's not hard to do what you do, Miss/Mr. Decorator, so I'll expect you to do it for little money.



Finally, other commenter's simply asked directly what he was talking about, in real dollars. And the response:
Thanks for the questions and comments. Clearly, it is not possible to fully negotiate or even describe precisely what I am seeking in a yelf [sic] forum, but I'll try to provide more info.  The budget would be in the $7,000-$8,000 range, all-in including fees. Total turnkey, the designer will do everything right down to selling my used furniture on craigslist (probably split the proceeds). On installation day I will leave a nearly unfurnished space in the morning and come home at night to heaven, a heaven all ready for its AD photoshoot (exaggerating of course, but not by much). With the budget we'er probably in the West Elmish, CB2ish, C&Bish, price point.  The project will start with the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Not much if any furniture needed, mainly accessorizing. About $1,500 would take care of that piece.  All goes well, we do the living - I need everything. You have 3 zones, work, dining, and lounge/relaxing area.  Not too complicated, right?


Seriously? And do I really get to "split the proceeds" from selling your used crap on Craigslist?? Ah gee, thanks!  I can't even tell if this person is genuinely in the dark, or just has low regard for the role of the decorator. But, because I always want to weigh in on an issue, here was my very polite and detailed response:
Hi - Interesting conversation. I thought I would be a good idea for a professional decorator to weigh in.  You seem to want a lot of service plus design skill, plus furnishings, for a relatively little amount of money. First let me say that I am not a designer who holds her nose at those on a budget. On the contrary, I offer a design-only service just for those who want design help but have a limited budget and are willing to implement it themselves. I myself did my kitchen over on less than $500 (not including appliances which were I got as part of a trade of services) because I did everything myself from repainting cabinets, installing lighting and scraping popcorn off the ceiling. And I agree, if you're in a rental apartment, there is no point on spending $ to renovate unless you were planning on being there for years.

But, let me share some actual details: Decorators in the Boston market range between $75 - $250 per hour. $75 is rock bottom, assistant/entry level. It's possible to find a professional organizer for less and they could certainly arrange deliveries, set ups and sale of existing furnishings, but they likely won't have the design skill to pull off the minimalist look you want. So, starting with a base of $100 per hour for the decorator's time, your dream of having a heavenly single install day will cost $800 for the designers time alone =10% of your budget. This doesn't include the design phase at all. Additionally, the only way you can have a turn-key project is if your designer/decorator can warehouse, insure and re-deliver all the ordered merchandise on a single day - which takes facilities costs, personnel and move management and movers. (Note: only higher-end designers are really set up to do this level of service). Roughly, this would be a couple of thousand dollars. Since your budget is for modest retail furnishings (nothing wrong with that), you should be aware that the service end of those stores is typically very lacking and they will deliver on their own schedule. So, either you accept the deliveries at your apartment as they come in, or pay the warehousing charges I outlined above.  The design phase for a 700 sq. ft. space could easily be $5,000, but certainly will be no less than $1500  - not including any logistics, only for design & specifying. And so you've already spent 30-50% or more of your budget on personnel & logistics, BEFORE  furnishings.

Those above who suggested you do it yourself are correct. You cannot get a full service decorator who will do an entire plan plus fully implement it up to turn-key levels AND the cost of furnishings, for the price you've stated. Store delivery and state sales taxes alone with be $1000-$2000 when all is said and done. As someone noted, many stores have in-house decorators who can assist you and they are free. I think even IKEA has that. You could  hire a designer who will do a design plan only for you for a flat fee, but you are full in charge of all ordering and logistics. You could also probably hire an assistant/organizer at maybe $35-50 an hour to keep track of the orders, receive deliveries at your home and followup on the inevitable issues that will arise.

I hope this information helps. Unfortunately, shows on HGTV and the like completely mislead viewers as to what it takes to have a fabulous one-day reveal. We never see the hordes of production and design assistants who never make it on screen.  Definitely check out Apartment Therapy on line, or HGTV for ideas on budget decorating you may find you'll come to love doing it yourself! 
 I thought that was a nice response, when I had much stronger language happening in my head! There was no followup from RO, but this was the final comment:

shet I do it. for you. I can decorates. not hard. I do it al for 5 g's.
 That amused me.






 Love to hear your thoughts...


Images via Pinterest: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,


If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks! Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top