As previously mentioned, I did a one-day whirlwind road trip down to the Architectural Digest Home Design show in New York. Met some of my favorite bloggers, in person for a change!, and took in some truly beautiful design work. I wanted to start close to home with some designers and artisans with ties to New England. New England style is always rooted in history while still being relevant to today's homeowner and all these folks truly capture the essence I love so much about the region. 

Love the oversize prints and photos at Room 125  stand. The work comes framed or unframed. The frames are made from reclaimed woods and the images are reproductions from original plates and negatives. The varied looks and styles - from the ruby brooch to the pachyderm double print are fantastic! The name Studio 125 references a shop they had at 125 Charles Street in Boston. Now located in NYC.



The New England Collection - flat weave, hooked, needlepoint rugs and more. Love, love these rugs. While not actually based in New England, they do capture the essence of the region without being stuffy or out of fashion. I love all the colorways and patterns.
 


Modern Aire Ventilation and Susan Serra's Bornholm Kitchen cabinetry. Modern Aire Ventilation makes custom stove hoods in a dazzling array of styles. 100% customizable to the smallest fraction of an inch, the hoods are really jewelry in a kitchen. Modern Aire is a third generation family business based in California. All their products are made in the USA. Massachusetts vendor Valiant Sales out of Beverly showcased Modern Aire's products at show. Partnering with them was my friend, kitchen designer extraordinaire Susan Serra, who is from New York. Susan's line of Scandinavian inspired kitchen cabinetry is truly beautiful. I profiled Susan in my May/June 2011 issue of ::Surroundings:: magazine. Susan's cabinetry is all made in America.



Kennebec Company fine cabinet makers.  I didn't take a photo at their booth (image below courtesy of their website), but I am so taken with the Shaker-like simplicity of their cabinetry. Perfect to warm up a modern space or grace an antique country barn.  Based in Bath, Maine, they have been in business 35 years and all work is custom made to order.



Lawrence J. Perna Fine Custom Furniture. For traditionalists, this custom built, heirloom quality furniture is totally drool-worthy. Massachusetts-based Larry Perna has been hand building furniture and cabinetry for 35 years. I was so taken by the soft twist in the legs of this small side table.



More to come on my AD Home Show finds!

If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks! Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top