This book is a little different than my standard shelter book review or post. But the message of MORE by I.C. Springman with illustrations by Brian Lies (published by Houghton Mifflin) relates directly to the home industry.  With our houses bursting to the seams with stuff, garages so full of junk that our expensive cars sit outside and the storage industry one of the few not effected by the recession, it's really far past time that we get back to a "less is more" mindset.


MORE is a children's picture book with a serious message that has been delightfully packaged with sparse yet compelling text and lush illustrations. Its story is that of a magpie who starts collecting a few baubles here and there and has to keep building new nests to contain it all. Eventually, he hits critical mass and let's just say, (spoiler alert!) gravity takes its toll. In the end, our magpie friend comes to appreciate the value of only a few things that truly have meaning in his life.

Full disclosure - illustrator Brian Lies is a good friend of mine, his wife is one of my oldest and dearest friends and I have the honor of being Godmother to their daughter.  I've had the privilege of seeing Brian's illustrations develop from rough sketches to beautiful, minutely detailed final paintings. One of the hallmarks of Brian's work is his focus on the tiniest of details - literally tiny, you may need a magnifying glass to see them. It's what makes his books so much fun to read for adults.


Brian is an awarding winning author/illustrators and his BATS series of books have been on the New York Times Best Seller's Lists.


MORE, written by I.C. Springman and illustrated by Brian Lies, is officially on sale today! If you have kids, know a kid or are a kid - I can't recommend this book more highly.

I'd like to offer a signed copy of MORE to one of my readers. Please leave a comment telling me who the recipient will be (it's okay if it's you!) and make sure to leave your email so I can contact you. If you prefer not to leave your email in your comment,  you may email it me after you leave the comment.  I'll pick a winner by random drawing from the comments left here in a week or so.

If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks! Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top